Hiring a Contractor
Take care in hiring a contractor.
1. Check with friends, neighbors, trade associations, and home improvement stores for referrals. Word of mouth is the best form of advertising.
2. Get three bids, then bargain. Question extremely low bids.
3. Don’t hire someone who “just completed work in your area” and offers you a bargain.
4. Avoid contractors with no street address. Verify phone numbers.
5. Resist high-pressure tactics.
6. Get written estimates and references.
7. Ensure proper permits are obtained and paid for.
8. Get your own loan. Never pay in full up front; arrange for payments upon completion of defined amounts of work. Make sure you are satisfied before making final payment.